CW’s League Cup Path to the Last 16

The journey to the last 16 of the Mitre Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup didn’t get off to the best for CW. Ryhope faced Billingham Town at the Recreation Park in what could be considered a scrappy 2-2 draw. Billingham had already played their opening game in the group with a 3-2 win over Crook Town.

Two first half goals from David Vincent gave CW the lead. In the second half, Billingham came back into the game with Kallum Hannah scoring just after the hour mark.

A somewhat dubious penalty decision was given, and Hannah converted to draw Billingham level with just over 10 minutes to play. Neither team would score again and the points were shared.

The Teesside club would go on to beat Washington and finish third in the group having lost to RCA.


The second game in the group for CW came in early October, where Ollie Hotchkiss would return to New Ferens Park where he was Manager of Durham before moving to Manage Ryhope’s opponents Washington FC. Hotchkiss left Washington after only a few months at the helm where he felt he could no longer work under the conditions imposed by the Committee there.

It was Washington who took the lead, despite CW having majority possession. The teams would go in at the end of the first half level when Robbie Bird scored in the 43rd minute.

The second half and Ryhope’s class started to show, especially from Hotchkiss. Revenge was served when Hotchkiss completed a hat-trick. Goals from James Ellis and Alfie Pearn gave CW a convincing 6-1 win.

Washington would finish bottom of the group having been beaten by all three other clubs.

Ryhope’s third game came only a few days later, against Crook Town. An 18th minute goal from Jack Walker was enough for CW to take all three points and only needing a draw against local rivals RCA to progress to the last 16.

Crook were deducted three points for fielding an ineligible player in the competition. They 3-0 victors at home to Washington, giving them their only win in the competition but would finish with no points.


In the third of five meetings this season.  CW faced RCA. It was 2 draws and an FC Cup Reply win in favor of RCA so far, and CW was looking to even things up.

Robbie Bird answered the call on the stroke of half time to put CW ahead. Despite good opportunities for both teams, that is how the game would end with CW taking all three points.

Having won their other three fixtures, RCA would finish second on 9 points with CW undefeated in all games, finishing top with 10 points.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.