CW progress in Buildbase FA Vase with an impressive home win

Chances taken and a solid defensive performance along with a goal early in each half was enough for Ryhope to progress in the Vase

Gaz Pearsons team were coming into the match on the back of two consecutive away defeats. Neither of these results was a true reflection on the performance in these games.

Ryhope were without Jack Devlin, Elliot Woods, Danni Lay, Matty Weirs and Corey Nicholson through injury. Jordan Harkess continued in goal with James Winter on holiday. Chris Trewick was not available for selection. Pearson was able to welcome back James Ellis.

The way the games started in the opening 5 minutes, no one would have expected a goal. Play was stuck in midfield with the only person getting a sight at goal was Ollie Hotchkiss with a curling shot troubling Greg Purus in the North Shields goal just going over the crossbar.

In previous games, it had been highlighted that CW were not taking chances when they came. This seemed to have had an impact on the players, 6 minutes from kick-off, A Ryhope corner was cleared, falling to Hotchkiss on the edge of the box. He controlled the ball and shot at goal. Purus was able to get hi,s hand on the shout but could only deflect into the path of the oncoming Micky Rae. He shot to the far post. A defender tried to block but could only deflect Rae’s already goal-bound shot into the back of the net. 1-0

Following the goal, it was a pretty even match, both teams having chances with no considerable danger on wither goal. Nineteen minutes in, North Shields had the first of two penalty shouts. A cross from the right was gathered in the box and then cleared by Carl Jones. When a North Shields player then ran across Joes the appeals started, immediately waved away by the referee. The second came three minutes later after a scramble in the box. Again, no pen was given. If either had been it would have been a very weak decision. 

North Shields were galvanised by these and really started to push for an equaliser. What stood in their way? A dogged Ryhope defence and an in-form Jordan Harkess.  Some say a Goalkeeper is just doing his job when he makes saves, Afterall that is what he is there for. Well, I would love any goalkeeper to make some of the saves seen today. At any level, never mind Northern League. The first came on 30 minutes, North Shields Chris McDonald was played in on the left side of the penalty area. Through on goal, he shot goalward, only for Harkess to leap and palm the ball over the crossbar. If that was impressive you should see what happened three minutes later. Nick Cassidy stepped up to take a free-kick from just outside the 18-yard box. Brilliantly curled to the top corner. He was about to peel away celebrating when Harkess tipped the ball on the crossbar. The followup was headed over the bar. 

Ryhope seemed to be riding a spell of luck. And it was about to turn from good to bad. Firstly, James Ellis broke onto a long ball, beating a defender for pace, he was able to shoot goalward. In doing so he pulled up with what looked to be a hamstring pull. Minutes later Christopher Wallace would pull up with exactly the same issue. Both were replaced with Jon Weirs and Davey Vincent respectively. But CW were able to weather the storm to the break.


Ryhope CW 1 – North Shields 0


The second half started in a similar fashion to the first. Ryhope scoring early.

This time four minutes from the restart, Jon Weirs latched onto a wayward pass in the centre circle. Weirs powered forward, breaking into the box. Using his strength to beat two and slide the ball in the goal, past Goalkeeper Purus and two further defenders. Ryhope were two goals to the good.

CW had to remain solid in defence as North Shields pushed to get a goal back. Several North Shields attacks were thwarted by the backline. Including a diving goal-line clearance by Ben Riding that could have got Shields back in the game. 

With North Shields committing further forward CW were able to hit on the counter. Rae, Robbie Bird and Weirs were working hard down the channels always looking to hit on the break. The closest North Shields came was when a cross from the left could not be turned in by Kyle Patton at the far post. 

Ryhope were able to hold out and see the game to full time. Progressing to the next round to face Garforth Town A.F.C.


Ryhope CW 2 – North Shields 0