Ryhope Stun Consett with win


Goals from Ben Riding and Micky Rae secure the three points at home against Consett AFC 


The first half gave shades of the game contested in January with both teams cancelling each other out in midfield. Jack Deviln found the net but was flagged for offside within 10 minutes before the first decent chance of the game falling to Olly Hotchkiss who broke into the box only to have his shot deflected out


Consett then had their first corner of the game only for James Winter to clear the long delivered corner. 


A superb challenge from David Vincent gave possession back to Ryhope in midfield who fed the ball to Jack Devlin only for Consett keeper, Mark Foden to make a well-handled save. The next chance for Ryhope fell to Hotchkiss who’s volley went wide after some good control. 


Consett then had a few chances through Ali Alshabeeb after Riding gave the ball away only for the shot to go wide. Alshabeeb then found himself breaking into the box just shortly after only to have a penalty shout waved away after a Riding challenge. 


Ryhope was presented with a chance to go ahead with only ten minutes of half time remaining when Davey Vincent was brought down in the box and a penalty was given. Devlin stepped up to take, driving the ball low only to be saved by the keeper. 


Goal threat, Alshabeeb had another shot fired over the crossbar to see out the rest of the first half. 


HT Ryhope CW 0 – 0 Consett AFC 


Ryhope came out early from the dressing room and it didn’t take long for the hosts to find themselves in front. A goalmouth scramble resulted in Riding putting the ball in the back of the net after Consett failed to clear the ball from a curled free-kick sent in from Hotchkiss. 


Pearson’s side kept themselves on top after the goal as they threatened to grab another with attempts from Matty Weirs Robbie Bird, Devlin and Chris Trewick all looking promising but amounting to nothing. 


Consett’s first chance resulted in them equalising after breaking on the play with a well-worked ball into first-half goal threat, Alshabeeb who converted into the chance into a goal finding the bottom corner. 


As full time approached, the drama unfolded as a floodlight outing forced a stoppage in play. Both sides kept active on the park with some passing and stretching to prevent the buildup of lactic acid and cramp. After a twelve-minute delay, the floodlights came back on and play resumed. 


With little to report after the lights came back on, Ryhope grew stronger in the game and found the winning goal through substitute Micky Rae. He found the net with a beautifully curled ball into the top corner from twenty yards out. The striker could have run the line and looked to cross. Instead, he chose to check back, beating two and shooting from distance.


Consett looked for an equaliser but it wasn’t to be as the full-time whistle was blown. 


FT Ryhope CW 2-1 Consett AFC.