Ryhope suffer defeat to Whitley Bay


Whitley Bay recorded a 3-1 victory against Ryhope CW last night to claim their first league win since the opening day of the season.

In twenty-two minutes the home team took the lead through Jack Foalle as he picked up the ball on the edge of the box and fired it past the Ryhope goalkeeper, Jonny Ball.

Ryhope were soon back in the game after Nat Skidmore’s free kick hit the underside of the bar, bouncing to Josh Home-Jackson who then flicked the ball onto central-defender Thomas Bott who was able to nod home the equaliser for the away team.

The match wasn’t level for long however as Luke Salmon was able to get onto the end of a cross from the right-hand side and dispatch the ball into the bottom right of the goal from the back post.

Two minutes later Whitley Bay extended their lead as Foalle grabbed his second goal of the match after a great build-up play from the home team resulted in the striker slotting home the cross from winger Peter Glen-Ravenhall.

With both teams searching for their first points of the season  since the first game of the season both teams were in need of the three points.

Both teams started well with chances at both ends of the pitch.

Glen-Ravenhall was a key player throughout the game for Whitley Bay and he almost opened the scoring for them, however his shot was saved by Jonny Ball at the front post.

Stephen Ramsey, who spent half a season with Ryhope last season, also had a chance as it broke for him in the box but his shot sailed high and wide of the target.

Ryhope then began to come into the game and started creating more chances, however they couldn’t produce an opener.

Micky Rae fired over the bar after a great piece of build-up play from the away team.

But after missing a free header in the box moments later, Jack Foalle made sure he took his chance this time by firing the ball from the edge of the box into the goal after the space opened up in front of him.

The lead didn’t last long however as Ryhope were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Whitley Bay box. Up stepped the young midfielder Nat Skidmore who’s near perfect free kick hit off the underside of the crossbar causing somewhat of a goalmouth scramble that eventually, the towering defender, Thomas Bott was able to head in.

With the game level, again both teams were looking to get back in charge of the game.
It was the home team who went close as Foalle once again had a free header in the box, however this time his header narrowly flew over the crossbar.

Whitley Bay had seemed most dangerous from crosses into the box and on thirty-six minutes this became evident as Luke Salmon got onto the end the cross at the back post to fire his team back into the lead.

With seven minutes of the first half remaining, Whitley Bay scored a great goal to grab their third of the game.

After Caines found Glen-Ravenhall on the opposite side of the pitch, he was then able to take the ball away from defender Adam Cocks to deliver the ball into the box for Jack Foalle to score his second of the game.

Before half time Ryhope were hit by yet another injury, this time to striker Micky Rae who was replaced by new signing Shaun Pickford.

Coming out from the second half Ryhope knew that they had to start converting chances in order to take something from this game.

But it was Whitley Bay who nearly scored through Foalle who almost found his third in the exact same way he grabbed his first, however this time the keeper was able to gather the ball.

As the second half progressed, Ryhope were creating more and more chances.

Matty Weirs forced a great save from Flynn to acrobatically deny Ryhope a second goal in the game.

On sixty-nine minutes Ryhope were offered a lifeline as Home-Jackson was brought down in the box and a penalty was awarded.

However, the score remained at 3-1 as Matty Weirs fired the ball into the post.

Ryhope CW almost found a second as Home-Jackson’s curling effort struck the bar as the goalkeeper was left stranded.

The visitors kept applying the pressure but the home team were able to hold on the lead and take the three points.

Following the defeat assistant manager Stu Gooden said, “I’m very disappointed with the result obviously, but very pleased with the performance especially in the second-half.” He added, “I thought we showed great desire and hunger, we are just having no luck in front of goal and every mistake we make is getting punished.”.

Looking to move on from this defeat Gooden emphasised that the team sticking together was the most important thing at this time, “we’ve got to take the positives, forget about the injury list and most of all stick together.”.

With eleven Ryhope players missing due to injury, two players made their debuts last night after signing for Colliery Welfare. When Gooden was asked about the two debutants, Shaun Pickford and Craig Ellison, he said, “I felt they both performed very well, so really pleased with them, they will both be involved on Saturday”.

On Saturday Ryhope face a trip to high-flyers Hebburn Town hoping to change their recent fortunes, Gooden added “it’ll be a very very tough game against the title favourites, I’m just after a positive performance”.

By Kyle Ritchie